Monday, January 12, 2009

Seijin no Hi - Coming of Age Day

Seijin no hi, 成人の日, is a monumental day for those turning 20 years old during that calendar year. It's a national holiday and celebrates Coming of Age. Turning 20 is a big deal here because not only is it the legal age for voting, drinking and smoking, it's the age you're considered an adult. So the only people who actually become of age are those with birthdays between January 1st and 12th. The others will have to wait until their actual birthday.

I went to Tsurugaoka Hachimangu in Kamakura, the same place
I went to on New Year's Eve. All the girls looked beautiful and were wearing special kimono called furisode (振袖), and apparently it's the most formal type of kimono that unmarried women can wear.

This was a fairly quick trip. Julie stayed in the car with the kids and I ran out and snapped pictures with both of our cameras! It was a beautiful ceremony, and I wish I could understand what they were saying!
I took pictures of families a lot that afternoon, and some of them let me take a picture with my own camera. Love it!

0 comments: