Sunday, May 31, 2009

Soy Sauce Eggs

Or Shoyu Tamago as they're known here in Japan. Tamago is the Japanese word for egg, and once we moved to Hawaii in January of 2004, I learned that soy sauce is more commonly known as shoyu.

Last night after hard boiling the eggs for the molds, I had an extra egg that was too big for the heart or star mold. Instead of eating it plain I decided to try something Julie had told me about months ago.

They're so easy to make, and if you like soy sauce then take 10 or 15 minutes and give this a try. Hard boil and peel your eggs the way you normally would. Pour the water out of the pot, rinse it, and put it back on the stove. Add about two tablespoons of soy sauce per egg and heat it up on medium. I put my eggs in as soon as the shoyu started to get hot. Roll the eggs around in the shoyu to get them evenly coated. I like mine with a lot of flavor so I left them in longer to get darker. Eventually the shoyu will dry up, and that's how I know they're ready. Keanna wanted hers done too, so that's why the fish-shaped egg is in there. You won't need any extra salt since the shoyu is already salty and they can be served warm or cold.










1 comments:

newsjunkie said...

Hmmm those look good. I might have to try that for dinner tonight...